Presenting ‘Slow Cooker Zuppa Toscana’ – a copycat version of Olive Garden’s ‘Zuppa Toscana Soup’! This warming comfort soup is filled with Sausage, Kale, Bacon, & Potato. We love this dish because #1) It tastes amazing duhhhhh 2) The Crockpot does all of the work! WIN WIN, people! Enjoy this Slow Cooker Zuppa Toscana accompanied by nice, crusty bread for dipping. In case you are not familiar with Olive Garden’s version (in which case we are so sorry), this dish is a creamy, rich soup with Italian Sausage, Kale, and Potatoes! But we added Bacon to our version because … well, bacon.
There is a bit of prep work, but the gratification comes immediately after you dump everything in the Slow Cooker. Boom. Your work here is done. 20-30 minutes before serving, add the Kale and Cream. Once spooned into bowls, top with Bacon and Parmesan Cheese. And don’t worry… Olive Garden won’t be mad that you are cheating on them. We asked. So enjoy this Slow Cooker Zuppa Toscana Soup free of guilt! (Minus the heavy cream and bacon part… who cares, just enjoy damnit)
Slow Cooker Zuppa Toscana
- Definitely use “Hot” Italian Sausage for this one, not “Mild” or “Sweet.” Well, actually, you can do whatever you want because you’re a grown-ass adult, but just saying… The “Hot” sausage gives it a little somethin’ somethin’!
- You can sub half and half for the heavy whipping cream – the end result just won’t be as rich.
ZUPPA TOSCANA INGREDIENTS
- 1 pound Hot Italian Sausage, casings removed (if applicable)
- 6 pieces of Thick-cut Bacon, cooked, drained, and torn into pieces
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 cups of Kale, torn into pieces (discard the stem)
- 5-6 Russet Potatoes, washed but unpeeled, diced into cubes or whatever damn shape you can get ’em into
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 3 teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese for serving (optional)
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
HOW TO MAKE ZUPPA TOSCANA:
- In a skillet over Medium-High heat, brown your Sausage, 6-7 minutes. Drain on paper towels, then chop into pieces.
- Combine Sausage, Onion, Russet Potatoes, Chicken Broth, Garlic, Dried Basil, and Red Pepper Flakes (if using) in Slow Cooker. Make sure there is just enough liquid to cover everything. If not, add a bit more chicken broth (or water).
- Leave covered in Slow Cooker for 4-5 hours on High, or 6-7 hours on Low.
- Remove lid on Slow Cooker. Add Kale and Heavy Whipping Cream, plus Salt and Pepper to taste. Stir to combine. Replace the lid, and let cook another 20-30 minutes until soup thickens.
- Just before serving, place some of the cooked Bacon and Parmesan Cheese on top of each bowl.
Serve with crusty bread pieces on the side. Enjoy!