Summer is the season of Bikinis, Beach Bodies, and… Bell Peppers. Yes it’s true, that is the literal definition of “summer”, which can be found in any respectable dictionary. Look it up, it’s definitely in there. So why not combine all 3 of these quintessential, summer byproducts into 1 awesome package?! Our healthy bell pepper nachos will help you achieve a killer beach body, fit for any bikini! 6-pack abs, firm booty, shredded arms, and fitness magazine covers, here you come! Ok… soooooooo there are a few other steps involved besides just eating bell pepper nachos once and morphing into a supermodel overnight. But this is a yummy step in the right direction, damnit!
Bell Pepper Nachos
We all know that traditional nachos are not recommended by your average nutritionist or personal trainer. But this version of healthy bell pepper nachos, filled with fresh veggies and lean ground turkey, would be sure to make the cut! Get it? “CUT”? Cuz you’re about to be “CUT” from these things???? Yea. We really did just say that. Don’t worry, we’re embarrassed for ourselves too.
This mini bell pepper nacho recipe has a little bit of kick to it (nothing crazy, just enough to kick that metabolism into gear), feel free to add or omit any spicy ingredients as you see fit!
Bell Pepper Nachos- Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 lb bag mini sweet bell peppers, halved and seeded (or 3-4 regular bell peppers; cut into smaller triangle wedges to make “chips”)
- 16 oz lean ground turkey
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp olive or avocado oil
- 2 tsp diced green chiles
- 3-4 pepperoncini peppers, drained/chopped
- Handful of pickled jalapeno slices
- Black olives, sliced
- Sharp cheddar cheese (adjust amount of cheese to personal taste/diet goals/etc. We love cheese more than we love ourselves, so we piled that ‘ish on)
- Greek yogurt (or light sour cream)
- Hot sauce of your choice
- Lime wedges for serving
OPTIONAL (we didn’t have these on hand when we made ours, but they would all be great additions to your bell pepper nachos):
- Cooked shrimp, black or pinto beans, roasted corn, diced tomatoes, chives or green onions, cilantro, pico de gallo, tomatillo salsa, cooked brown rice, etc. You could also go the extra mile and whip up some guacamole using the diced avocado already listed in this recipe… use your imagination!
Bell Pepper Nachos- Preparation
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, or set your broiler to High.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat, adding olive or avocado oil. Add onion and minced garlic, cook for 30 seconds. Add lean ground turkey, tomato paste, diced green chiles, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper to taste; stir to combine. Brown the turkey, using a spoon to break it up as you go, until cooked through (apprx 15-16 mins). Drain off any fat.
- Place sliced bell peppers on a baking sheet. Take a handful of the ground turkey and start stuffing your bell pepper slices with a small amount each, making sure not to overload the peppers with too much meat. You still have lots of other fun, healthy ingredients to add so leave some room! (NOTE: We ended up with a decent amount of extra turkey, which we used for breakfast the next day, topped with a fried egg)
- Sprinkle your bell pepper nachos with any of the remaining toppings you wish to use: pepperoncini peppers, pickled jalapeno slices, black olive slices, and cheddar cheese.
- Bake the bell pepper nachos at 400 degrees for 7 minutes, or broil the bell pepper nachos for 2-3 mins until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Top cooked bell pepper nachos with diced avocado, a dash (or 20) of hot sauce, and a side of greek yogurt or light sour cream to help cool your palette! Squeeze lime wedges over nachos for another tangy hit of flavor. Dig in and enjoy!
What other variations do you guys enjoy to turn normal nachos into healthy nachos?! We are all ears! Please leave us a comment and let us know if you end up trying this bell pepper nacho recipe, and also what you think! We love interacting with our readers!