In 30 minutes or less, this easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup with Bacon will be warming both hearts and bowls. Serve with toasted baguette dippers; you will be a real hero come dinnertime!
Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
This is an incredibly easy broccoli cheddar soup because everything cooks in one pot, and then gets finished in the blender. Dare I say that it is, in fact… SOUP-er easy? HAHAHA I just can’t stop myself with these jokes, people! Feel free to use that one at the dinner table tonight. If nobody laughs, just know that I would have. It’s ok. Have some more broccoli cheese soup. And don’t worry about the bacon – you won’t need to tend to it or let it splatter wildly about the kitchen while your soup sits on a burner next door. Just throw the bacon in the oven while the soup cooks. It comes out perfectly crisp, is totally hands-off, and clean up is an absolute breeze. EASY!
We also recommend the following implementations in order to save time on this Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup: … ok that introduction sounds way more complicated than it is. Basically what we are saying is this: be lazy here, because this is one of those times in life where laziness pays off. Just buy the pre-cut veggies, a bag of fresh broccoli florets, and a lovely bag of shredded cheese. FYI: Trader Joe’s sells a 14.5 oz pre-chopped mixture of onion, celery, and carrots in their produce section – also known as ‘mirepoix’, which kills 3 birds with 1 stone on this recipe. Follow these lazy-person instructions correctly, and the only veggie-chopping you will have to do are the potatoes. (It’s ok to cheat every once in awhile.) This may be an EASY broccoli cheddar soup recipe… but it tastes heavenly, and nobody will ever know that you half-assed it. In fact, they will think you full-assed it. Let’s get cooking!
BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP WITH BACON- INGREDIENTS:
- 6 strips uncooked bacon
- (1) 14.5 oz container Trader Joe’s Mirepoix (a blend of diced onion, celery, and carrots) – OR, you can make your own mirepoix using: 1 medium yellow onion (diced), 2 stalks celery (diced), and 2-3 carrots (peeled and diced)
- 4 cups broccoli florets, or (1) 12 oz bag fresh broccoli florets, chopped into smaller chunks if needed
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp butter or ghee
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream (or half and half, or unsweetened almond milk)
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour (or whole wheat, or gluten-free)
- 2.5 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Salt & Pepper
- Baguette slices (toasted), for serving
BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP WITH BACON- PREPARATION:
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil. Cook bacon in oven for 15-20 minutes. You can also toast your baguette slices at this time (if using). Brush tops with oil and toast in top rack for 5-10 minutes, give or take. Let both cool; crumble bacon once done. While bacon and baguette are in oven, begin on the broccoli cheese soup.
- In a large Dutch Oven or soup pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add mirepoix (onion, celery, carrots), and potatoes, sautéing over medium heat for 6 minutes. Add minced garlic, and stir constantly for 30 seconds.
- Add flour, stirring until smooth (1-2 minutes). Stir in the broccoli, vegetable or chicken stock, heavy whipping cream, nutmeg, dry mustard, and salt/pepper. Raise heat to high, bring to a boil. Immediately after coming to a boil, reduce heat, and leave at a simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Using a slotted spoon, remove and reserve about half of the broccoli chunks (to be reincorporated later).
- Using a ladle and working in batches, add the remaining soup mixture to a high-powered blender. Remove middle of blender lid, and place a damp towel over the top (to allow steam to escape). Blend until smooth. Return blended soup back into the dutch oven. Add cheddar cheese, stirring to melt. Add reserved broccoli chunks, then season soup again with salt & pepper to taste. To serve, top with crumbled bacon and a side of toasted baguette “dippers.”