A list of over 75 healthy, new mom freezer meals! Meal prepping during pregnancy for your baby’s arrival is an absolute essential, and SUCH a lifesaver! Take advantage of your free time while you have some!
DISCLOSURE: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I nested the sh*t out of my nest when I was pregnant. When I wasn’t nauseous and trying to figure out which healthy pregnancy snacks I could keep down, I was nesting.
I organized, I purged, I kept The Container Store in business, I ran out of tape for my label printer numerous times, I tidied, I crafted, I sorted, I deep cleaned, I re-organized what was already organized, I created projects that didn’t need created; basically I just went excessively overboard.
The one thing I wish I had gone MUCH, MUCH MORE OVERBOARD on, were healthy freezer meals.
Had I known how much of a lifesaver these new mom freezer meals would be, I would have put much, much more time and energy into focusing on those.
And I would have put much, much less time and energy into hand-making a custom candle for my son’s nursery with his name on it, for instance.
A handmade blue candle with a custom scent and vinyl lettering that I printed myself using my Cricut machine.
A lovely blue candle that I won’t ever light, because umm baby + fire = no. Good job on that one, self. Good job!
So please, take it from me and my unlit candle… if you are pregnant, or have a friend who is expecting, TAKE THE TIME to prepare these new mom freezer meals!! Be it for yourself or for one of your gal pals, it will be such a lifesaver postpartum.
Let me repeat: MAKE TONS AND TONS OF NEW MOM FREEZER MEALS AHEAD OF BABY! You will thank yourself immensely!
I had no idea what I was in for with breastfeeding struggles, no sleep, doctor visits, adapting to a brand new life and my brand new role as a mother. Cooking, and more often than not, eating… were my very last priority. And there was simply no time for either of them in the early days.
Naturally, eating healthy needs to be a top priority for ANY and ALL new moms! So rather than find yourself in my situation, which was running out of the few freezer meals I had prepped within the first 2 weeks and then dying inside a little. (Knowing I would have to sacrifice any free time I may have with a newborn, which was none, for the sake of cooking and doing dishes and blah blah… yea, I died inside a lil’.)
So don’t be like me. Put the candle-making supplies down, have a look at these new mom freezer meals, and put your kitchen to work!
(Side note: Thank the dear lord above that my parents were able to come out for that first week, and my momma cooked for us every single day. She saved my butt bigtime!)
WHAT ARE THE BEST FREEZER MEALS FOR NEW MOMS?
Your best options for freezer meals are soups, stews, and things of that nature; things that freeze flat and allow room to fit waaay more freezer meals in! Things you can throw in the Crockpot or InstantPot, push a single button, and move on with your busy-ass, new-momma self. Things that let you enjoy time with your baby and don’t have you tied to the kitchen.
However, absolutely ANY freezer meal is a good freezer meal for new moms. Storage is not the only consideration here. Make whatever speaks to you the most. A good, comforting meal is BEYOND satisfying to an overworked, overtired new mama.
That being said, I’ve included a variety of healthy freezer meals here, some of which are not capable of freezing flat (i.e., egg muffins, casseroles, etc.). But if soups and stews are not your thing, I want to give you tons of options! Doesn’t matter WHICH new mom freezer meals you prep. It just matters that you DO prep them!
HOW TO FREEZE HOMEMADE SOUP?
Let the soup cool completely, of course. This is a food safety thing. You can do this by placing the soup in a pot of ice water in the sink. Stir every so often to help the heat dissipate. Don’t let the soup cool in the refrigerator or the freezer.
Make sure you are using freezer safe plastic bags. These baggie racks are super helpful to assist you while you pour your soup, but they are not a necessity. In either case, you will let the air out of the bag and then simply lay it flat.
You can stack your flat bags of soup one on top of the other in the freezer without any funky or bulky shapes. As a result, you have much more room for many more new mom freezer meals! Hurray!
HOW DO YOU PREP FREEZER MEALS?
Since I’m providing links to various websites, I would recommend you print each recipe that you love as you go along, so that you don’t lose track of which ones you’d like to make. Or Pin each recipe to a Pinterest board that you create, like “Freezer Meals for New Moms” or whateva’.
If you can make a few recipes each weekend, do it! I would recommend prepping these healthy freezer meals anytime after you hit 6+ months.
If you start prepping them when you are only 1 month pregnant, they are going to sit around for another 8 months minimum. You really don’t want to risk freezer burn if you don’t have to! Plus not all recipes can keep that long in the freezer.
That being said, it might also be useful to plan when you are going to make these recipes on a calendar. I.E., group the recipes that can be made 3 months in advance first, and the recipes that can keep for 1 month last.
Plan a weekend of meal prep accordingly; write down which recipes you’ll be making on which date on your calendar. This will also help you stay organized on your grocery trips to buy the ingredients needed.
Make sure to label everything with a Sharpie so you know which freezer meal is which, as well as when it should be consumed by! It is also very useful to write the reheating instructions on the baggie as well. (i.e. “Thaw 24 hours in fridge, cook in slow cooker for 6 hours on low.”)
Also, you will want to store everything with portion size in mind. How many mouths will you be feeding other than your own?
You can also prep some freezer meals in disposable aluminum pans, which will later be transferred directly to the oven when you’re ready to eat them! Generally the recipe will dictate the proper freezer meal storage method.
DO I NEED TO THAW MY FREEZER MEALS?
It depends. You don’t need to thaw all freezer meals, but you DO NEED TO THAW your freezer meals if you are cooking meat in a slow cooker!! This is imperative. You can thaw in advance for 24-48 hours in the refrigerator (put the plastic bag on a plate to catch any drips. Place the plate on the bottom of your fridge, separate from any other food).
So yea. You basically just need to remember “Oh hey, I’m gonna want to eat tomorrow”, and throw a freezer meal in the fridge to thaw for the next day or 2! Easy peasy.
Casseroles and the like also benefit from thawing. Just for texture purposes.
Most recipes will specify if they need to be thawed in advance or not. If the recipe does not specify for some reason, please use your best “food safety” judgement.
However you decide to go about it, these pre-baby freezer meals will soon serve as your postpartum freezer meals, and as a result, they will be lifesavers! Without further adieu,
HEALTHY FREEZER MEALS FOR NEW MOMS
I have divided this list of new mom freezer meals by the following categories: Freezer Meal Side Dishes, Freezer Meal Breakfasts, Freezer Smoothie Packs, Freezer Soups and Stews, Freezer Meal Proteins / Main Dishes, Freezer Casseroles, and Freezer Pasta dishes.
Freezer Meal Side Dishes
Make a few of these ahead and then freeze them in small batches so that you can include them in a meal, like alongside fajitas, or chicken breasts, or what have you.
- Brown Rice
- White Rice
- Cauliflower Rice
- Mashed Potatoes
Freezer Smoothie Packs
- 30 Smoothie Freezer Packs – This is a great resource and includes a shopping list, as well as a bunch of recipes all in one place. A one-stop-shop if you want to stock up smoothie packs! Which… you should. Nothing is easier than dumping one of these into your Vitamix while getting tons of nutrients in on a hectic day with baby. via LexisCleanKitchen
- 14 Smoothie Packs – Another great resource to stock up on healthy smoothies for new mamas! via ASweetPeaChef
- Green Protein Smoothie Freezer Packs via FedAndFit
Freezer Meal Breakfasts
- Freezer Breakfast Burritos (this one says to freeze up to 1 month. So make these towards the very end of your pregnancy!) via DamnDelicious
- Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches via DamnDelicious
- Breakfast Egg Muffins via WellPlated
- Baked Oatmeal (BONUS: Oats are great for breastfeeding mamas and their milk supply!) via MoneySavingMom
- Sausage and Grits Quiche (freezes for up to 1 month) via MyRecipes
- Mini Ham and Cheese Quiche via CulinaryHill
- Whole Wheat Banana Nut Muffins via LiveSimply
- Spicy Sausage and Apple Casserole via TasteofHome
- Bacon Quiche Tarts via TasteofHome
- Banana Bread via TasteofHome
- Pork Sausage Patties via TasteofHome
- Mushroom Asparagus Quiche via TasteofHome
- Breakfast Pitas via TasteofHome
- Scrambled Egg Hash Brown Cups via TasteofHome
- How to Freeze and Reheat Pancakes (not a specific recipe, but a guide. Just use your fav pancake recipe and follow these instructions!) via ThePioneerWoman
Freezer Meal Soups & Stews
- Detox Lentil Soup via PinchOfYum
- Wild Rice Soup via PinchOfYum
- Sweet Potato Peanut Stew via PinchOfYum
- Beef Stew via PinchofYum
- Chickpea Tortilla Soup via SweetPeasAndSaffron
- Chicken Chili Verde Soup (InstantPot recipe) via SweetPeasAndSaffron
- Sweet Potato Chicken Curry via SweetPeasAndSaffron
- Zuppa Toscana with Sweet Potatoes via TheFamilyFreezer
- Sausage Spinach Tomato Soup via TheFamilyFreezer
- Garden Vegetable Soup with Pesto (Panera Copycat) via TheFamilyFreezer
- Turkey, White Bean, and Kale Soup via TheFamilyFreezer
- Italian Wedding Soup via TheFamilyFreezer
- Vegetarian Black Bean Soup via TheFamilyFreezer
- 6-Ingredient Chili (Ready in 30 minutes!) via TheCookieRookie
Beef Stew with Mashed Potatoes via ThePioneerWoman
- Jambalaya via MyRecipes
Freezer Meal Protein/Main Courses
- Chicken Tinga via PinchOfYum
- Korean BBQ Beef via PinchOfYum
- Chicken Meatballs via PinchOfYum
- Swedish Meatballs (freezes up to 3 months, so don’t make until 6+ months) via TheFamilyFreezer
- Chicken Fajitas via TheFamilyFreezer
- Stuffed Quinoa Peppers via TheFamilyFreezer
- Chicken Parmesan via TheFamilyFreezer
- Shredded Beef Burritos via RecipeTinEats
- Lemon Pesto Chicken via TheMagicalSlowCooker
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos via SweetPeasAndSaffron
- Enchilada Stuffed Sweet Potatoes via SweetPeasAndSaffron
- Pineapple Chicken via CrystalAndComp
- Pork Chops with Apples and Sweet Potatoes via StockPilingMoms
- Chicken and Avocado Burritos via ClosetCooking
- Shrimp Stir Fry (freeze for up to 1 month) via DamnDelicious
- Honey BBQ Chicken Taquitos (freeze for up to 3 months) via KristinesKitchenBlog
- Turkey Cabbage Rolls via AllRecipes
- Tex Mex Meatballs with Red Chile Sauce via SouthernLiving
- Red Beans and Rice via MyRecipes
- Panko Breaded Chicken Breasts via LisasDinnertimeDish
Freezer Meal Casseroles
- Parmesan Chicken and Broccoli (freeze for up to 3 months) via BHG
- Chicken Alfredo Casserole via TheKitchn
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole via SweetPhi
- Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole via MyRecipes
- Tuna Noodle Casserole via StockPilingMoms
- Taco Rice Casserole via EatingOnADime
- Southwest Casserole via TheHollowRoad
Freezer Meal Pasta
- Beef Ragu via PinchofYum
- Lasagna Florentine via PinchofYum
- 20-Minute Tuscan Pasta via SixSistersStuff
- Spaghetti via KitchenSanctuary
- Stuffed Shells via AMomsTake
- Chicken Vegetable Mac and Cheese (freeze for up to 4 months) via BHG
- Baked Ziti (freeze for up to 2 months) via TheKitchn
- Beefy Lasagna (freeze for up to 3 months) via SouthernLiving
- Lasagna Roll Ups via SouthernLiving
There you have it! A list of 75+ ideas for new mom freezer meals. Have you found any other recipes that I should add to this list? Have you made any of these recipes?
I would love to hear from you! I want nothing more than for this list to make life easier for LOTS of new mommies. So please share and pin this, whether you are expecting, or you have a friend who is! 🙂 Simply pin the image below.