Super satisfying copycat version of Olive Garden’s ‘Zuppa Toscana Soup’, made in the slow cooker!
- 1 pound Hot Italian Sausage, casings removed (if applicable)
- 6 pieces of Thick-cut Bacon, cooked, drained, and torn into pieces
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 cups of Kale, torn into pieces (discard the stem)
- 5–6 Russet Potatoes, washed but unpeeled, diced into cubes or whatever damn shape you can get ’em into
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 3 teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese for serving (optional)
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- In a skillet over Medium-High heat, brown your Sausage, 6-7 minutes. Drain on paper towels, then chop into pieces.
- Combine Sausage, Onion, Russet Potatoes, Chicken Broth, Garlic, Dried Basil, and Red Pepper Flakes (if using) in Slow Cooker. Make sure there is just enough liquid to cover everything. If not, add a bit more chicken broth (or water).
- Leave covered in Slow Cooker for 4-5 hours on High, or 6-7 hours on Low.
- Remove lid on Slow Cooker. Add Kale and Heavy Whipping Cream, plus Salt and Pepper to taste. Stir to combine. Replace the lid, and let cook another 20-30 minutes until soup thickens.
- Just before serving, place some of the cooked Bacon and Parmesan Cheese on top of each bowl.
- Serve with crusty bread pieces on the side. Enjoy!
- Method: Slow Cooker